Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Leather Hill

Anyone else fly Leather Hill in Wingdale NY (adjacent to Boyce Park) at some point? I went there once years ago with Pete Perrone, one of my most memorable flying experiences... not used anymore but there's some interest in seeing if we might get it reopened for flying.

Mike

Quite a number of years ago, I flew Leather Hill a number of times with very pleasant flights, though the dirt "road" to launch was always a bear. The "bear" experience (with cubs) was literal, when, two years ago, after a discussion with Wayne, I scouted for new way up from the backside. Bottom line, it didn't look too promising. Presently, the steep/rutted dirt road from the front is basically impassable and the launch has almost totally grown back in, though the LZ is still in very good shape. It would require considerable work to get this place flyable again.

Best, Wilhad

I was at Leather Hill not long ago to check it out. The backside property owners are adamant about people not trespassing onto their land (Google 'Leather Hill Preserve Shooting Range' if you are curious). They even seem to be making claims that they own the overlook or at minimum the access to the overlook, which is patently false if you look at the property records. As Wilhad notes the access from the front would be challenging for anything motorized except an ATV. Hiking is straightforward. The LZ is the most beautiful meadow I've seen in a while. The overlook itself is clear but the treeline below is encroaching and would need substantial cutting to be launchable. The old ramp has been dismantled. I'm attaching a photo. I live not far away (in Millerton NY near Brace Mt.) and am happy to meet up with anyone who wants to go have a look around. It would be a fun training hill for PG pilots or anyone willing to haul a glider uphill 500'.

Best, Zoe

PS If anyone has contact info for Tim Locke would you mind sharing it with me, I'm trying to catalog the historic launch sites in the Taconics and I'm told he pioneered quite a few. Thanks! zoesheehansaldana@gmail.com

Leather Hill Overlook Wingdale NY

Michael Strother has reacted to this post.
Michael Strother

@zoe-sheehansaldana I seriously doubt I'll have it in me to haul HG gear up 500'... but I'm still interested in revisiting Leather Hill at some point.

Mike